The FAA recommends a thorough pre-flight check of your drone and operating environment before flying. Here’s a short list:
Are you clear to fly?
- Do you have enough daylight and fair weather?
- Have you notified an airport if flying within 5 miles?
- Are you away from people not involved in the flight operations as well as any sensitive property?
- Are you fully aware of and compliant with all federal and local flight regulations?
- If you’re flying FPV, do you have a spotter?
Is everyone involved in the drone operation aware of:
- Emergency and contingency procedures?
- Each person’s roles and responsibilities?
- Any potential hazards in the area?
Is your drone ready to fly?
- Is the drone linked to the radio and goggles? If not, see the Troubleshooting section.
- Does the battery have enough power for your intended flight?
- Are the sensors accurately calibrated?
- Are all components securely attached?
- Is the drone’s registration clearly visible?